Re: new Contents generator on ftp-master

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 07:53:34PM +0100, Torsten Werner wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> wrote:
> > So basicly apt-file search will fail to find any file in
> > inorwegian and wnorwegian?
>
> It won't find any files currently for both packages.

$ apt-file search bokmaal.aff
inorwegian: /usr/lib/ispell/bokmaal.aff
$ apt-file search bokmål.aff
inorwegian: /usr/lib/ispell/bokmål.aff

Seems to work fine?

> > Why?  What's wrong with the old way of doing it?
>
> Both packages ship symlinks with the same name but different
> encodings. Some weeks ago there have been some discussion about
> Unicode correctness in Debian. I think that we should accept only
> properly UTF-8 encoded filenames in the future but I am open for
> discussion. We can use a manual workaround for (old)stable if we want
> that.

I think there might be some misunderstanding of what you mean.
My understanding from the original mail was:
some packages ship /usr/sbin/sendmail, currently that seems to be:
citadel-mta: /usr/sbin/sendmail
courier-mta: /usr/sbin/sendmail
dma: /usr/sbin/sendmail
esmtp-run: /usr/sbin/sendmail
exim4-daemon-heavy: /usr/sbin/sendmail
exim4-daemon-light: /usr/sbin/sendmail
masqmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
msmtp-mta: /usr/sbin/sendmail
nullmailer: /usr/sbin/sendmail
postfix: /usr/sbin/sendmail
sendmail-base: /usr/sbin/sendmailconfig
ssmtp: /usr/sbin/sendmail
xmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail

And as a result for all those packages you would list no file at all.

But then my understanding changed so that a single package
shipping a file which has different encodings for the filename
would not have that (or any) file mentioned.  If you already
convert them all to utf-8, I see no problem in only mentioning
that file once instead of not at all.

Kurt