Re: new scripts and patches for devscripts

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 09:50:57PM +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:

> > > Is this an alias for "apt-get build-dep $1"?
> > No, it's a tool that's been long missing from a Debian as a standard
> > interface - "install the build-dependencies for the package in my current
> > directory".

> Sounds similar to 'mk-build-deps -i debian/control'.

> That's not a vote for "get-build-deps is useless" but an
> encouragement for merging similar efforts and combining forces.

Certainly, I agree that efforts should be merged.  In a sense, that's what
this request to take u-d-t scripts into devscripts is about. :)

FWIW, mk-build-deps is close, but not exactly what I'm looking for
personally.  I really want a command that, without needing to specify any
extra options, does 'mk-build-deps -i -r debian/control', because I think
this is the common case.  I also think we're missing as a standard interface
a tool that *tells* us what build-dependencies need to be installed (and
what build-conflicts need to be removed), in a form that's automatically
consumable by other tools including, but not limited to, apt-get.
dpkg-checkbuilddeps fails this because it only tells which b-d's are
unsatisfied, in a form that has to be further processed.

I think a standard tool to handle this "what do I need to install and remove
to satisfy the build-depends for the current package" question would be
useful at a lower level than devscripts, fwiw.