Re: re buildd's resolver and package's build deps

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 06.03.2011, 16:41 +0100 schrieb Olaf van der Spek:
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:
> > I have a bit a bad feeling about not being able to use alternatives in
> > build-depends. For example at the moment, we are renaming a self-hosting
> > compiler package from ghc6 to ghc. Previously, the dependency has been
> > on "ghc6". Now it is "ghc | ghc6", at least for the transition period,
> > and it would be a shame if the buildds would (do?) not cope with that.
>
> What about renaming the pkg, have the new one provide the old one and
> continue depending on the old name until the new name is widely
> available?

yes, I also thought about it, and would be a sufficient solution. But
besides the case in question I’d like to make the point that there might
be more valid use cases for alternatives in build-depends, and we are
losing flexibility here.

But I’m a bit late in this thread and don’t want to re-start the
discussion. I guess as long as there are work-arounds (such as the one
above) it’s ok.

Greetings,
Joachim

--