Re: Lintian check for missing desktop files?

Le vendredi 04 mars 2011 à 12:30 +0000, Ben Hutchings a écrit :
> On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 09:04 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Le jeudi 03 mars 2011 à 22:56 +0000, Ben Hutchings a écrit :
> > > Surely they can filter out entries with Terminal: true?
> >
> > Yeah sure, and leave users without the possibility to add a launcher for
> > a terminal application?
>
> You can surely distinguish user-added launchers from package-provided
> launchers.

Not easily. Freedesktop specifies that there is a list of directories in
which to search, and it doesn’t sound right (nor simple) to make
exceptions based on pathnames.

> > The correct solution is to use NoDisplay=true for such applications.
> > This way they appear in the menu editor and can be enabled, but are not
> > displayed in the menu by default.
>
> Could you arrange to interpret Terminal=true as NoDisplay=true, then?

Doing that would mean it wouldn’t be possible to enable the application
in the menu editor.

> I'm just thinking that this policy of excluding terminal applications
> may not be appropriate for every desktop environment / window manager.
> (In particular, those without a menu editor that would allow overriding
> it.)

A possibility (for GNOME) would be to change gnome-menus-blacklist to
automatically exclude Terminal=true entries, but that would also make it
slower. But after all, this script is already the place where we deal
with uncooperative maintainers and their useless XDG menu entries.

--
 .''`.
: :' :     “You would need to ask a lawyer if you don't know