Re: Lintian check for missing desktop files?

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 02:36:43PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> I think it's crazy to expect maintainers to provide both menu and
> desktop files for everything.  That information should be provided once
> only, in whichever format is the more expressive (I think that would be
> desktop files, possibly with some Debian-specific extensions).  Triggers
> and per-WM hooks should take care of any conversion required at
> installation time.  Let's make that a release goal for wheezy instead of
> perpetuating these parallel menu systems.

ACK on the de-duplication (although I don't know whether they are in
fact more expressive than current Debian menu files). Another argument
for desktop files are that we have seen initiatives (e.g. AppStream)
which are going to rely on desktop files to identify common cross-distro
components. Pushing for desktop files, in collaboration with our
upstream, would also be a way of being good citizens helping with their
diffusion.

It doesn't seem to me that your proposal of making it a release goal for
Wheezy is incompatible with Andreas' proposal. Bottom line: a lintian
check would be a first useful step (the heuristic is clearly more
debatable, but I'm no condition to propose one which is better than the
one proposed by Andreas).

Cheers.