Re: Disable ZeroConf: how to ?

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 08:15 +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Ben Hutchings
>
> Hi,
>
> | On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 05:20:37PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> |
> | > To the extent this is a bug, it's a bug in the resolver that it does not
> | > treat names with dots in them as absolute, but relative.  I know this is
> | > how it's been done in the past, but perhaps changing that to treating
> | > names with as absolute would be a better solution.
> |
> | echo >>resolv.conf options ndots:15
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but this does not seem to do what I want, I think?
>
>   ndots:n
>     sets a threshold for the number of dots which must appear in a name
>     given to res_query(3) (see resolver(3)) before an initial absolute
>     query will be made.  The default for n is 1, meaning that if there
>     are any dots in a name, the name will be tried first as an absolute
>     name before any search list elements are appended to it.  The value
>     for this option is silently capped to 15.
>
> I'd like it to not append the search list if there are dots at all.

You could stop being lazy and type the dot on the end too. ;-)

> so doing «getent hosts foo.bar» will only generate a query for

I misparsed your question because I assumed you were addressing the
issue that Bastien pointed out in the message you replied to:

> main security problem is resolver,
> $host -v www.local
> www.local
> www.local.mydomain.com

And I believe that the 'ndots' option does address that issue - to an
extent.  You still need DNSSEC or application-layer security to verify
the answer, regardless of the presence of mDNS.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings