Re: Help identify packages that multiarch support will break

Hi,

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Is there a way to ask dpkg-query to dump all the information contained
> in /var/lib/dpkg/status without either having to: (1) list all fields
> explicitly (using --show + --showformat) or (2) list all package names
> (using --status)?
>
> I co-maintain some utilities that parse /var/lib/dpkg/status and I'd be
> glad to migrate them to dpkg-query, but both solutions above have
> drawbacks. (1) is not future proof and will miss the addition of new
> fields unless the utility is updated; (2) has a race condition in asking
> the currently installed packages and providing them to --status (beside
> being a horrible hack in requiring to list all package names as
> arguments).  Am I missing something?
>
> Having the ability to pass a package (wildcard) pattern to --show would
> be enough to solve this problem.

If you don't pass any argument to --show you have all the installed
packages. And wildcards are already supported in --show (but not in
--status).

We can add support for wildcards in --status, in fact it will be easily
doable. Do you want to file a wishlist bug for this ?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)