Re: Lintian check for missing desktop files?

On 2011-03-03, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> I think it's crazy to expect maintainers to provide both menu and
> desktop files for everything.  That information should be provided once
> only, in whichever format is the more expressive (I think that would be
> desktop files, possibly with some Debian-specific extensions).  Triggers

my impression is that they express the same. there is a difference in
the categories (sections) that doesn't make it fully possible to
map completely in any direction.

for example in games, in debian menu system we have and Games/Action,
which contains actions and arcade games, and the FDO menu has ActionGame
and ArcadeGame
There can be found similar examples for 'the other way'

There is a desktop2menu script in
devscript that tries to do the conversion as good as possible,

> and per-WM hooks should take care of any conversion required at
> installation time.  Let's make that a release goal for wheezy instead of
> perpetuating these parallel menu systems.

Down with the debian menu! Long live the fdo menu.

(isn't it only icewm and ratpoison and blackbox we might 'lose' by
simply killing the debian menu)

/Sune