Re: Disable ZeroConf: how to ?

Hi,

I won't comment on the possible insecurity of avahi-daemon, but...

On 2011-03-02, Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:
> More and more packages depend on avahi aka zeroconf. I have found some
> information on http://wiki.debian.org/ZeroConf
>
> Because I work in a untrusted work place and home network (public networks,
> wifi...) I whish to purge zeroconf functionnality.
>
> however a lot of package depends (or recommend) instead of suggest
> avahi-daemon and thus I could not purge this piece of software
> that I believe insecure in my context.

| pkern@franck:~$ dak rm -n -R -b -s stable avahi-daemon
| Working... done.
| Will remove the following packages from stable:
|
| avahi-daemon |   0.6.27-2 | amd64, armel, i386, ia64, kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc
|
| Maintainer: Utopia Maintenance Team <pkg-utopia-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
|
| ------------------- Reason -------------------
|
| ----------------------------------------------
|
| Checking reverse dependencies...
| # Broken Depends:
| avahi: avahi-discover
|        avahi-dnsconfd
|        avahi-utils
| controlaula: ltsp-controlaula
| forked-daapd: forked-daapd
| gshare: gshare
| mandos: mandos
| meta-gnome2: gnome
| mod-dnssd: libapache2-mod-dnssd
| mt-daapd: mt-daapd
| nss-mdns: lib32nss-mdns [amd64]
|           libnss-mdns
| padevchooser: padevchooser
| service-discovery-applet: service-discovery-applet
| telepathy-salut: telepathy-salut
|
| Dependency problem found.

So it's mainly gnome, which you don't need to install if you don't agree with
the maintainer's decision to depend on avahi-daemon, but you could mark the
pulled-in packages as installed yourself.  (That's the maintainer's stance on
its dependency list.)

The other thing where it's not clear to me is padevchooser.  Not sure it's
really desperatly needed there.

But the "a lot of packages depend" on it is false.  It might be true that a
bunch of it recommend it, but then you could create a dummy package that just
conflicts against avahi-daemon.  That should keep it uninstalled even when you
install more packages with recommends turned on.  (I think equivs could help
you there.)  After all those are no depends.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern