Re: prepare to fix build failures with new GCC versions

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 28.02.2011 08:02, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Well, if the mangling changed it means binaries linked against old
> > libraries will no longer work so it's rather good that the symbols files
> > doesn't match any more because you have to bump the mimimum version number
> > for that symbol.
>
> can you show that these symbols are actually referenced?
>
> > So "avoiding" the problem is not really a goal in this case... a symbols
> > files which does match based on the unmangled name would have let this
> > mistake slip through. :-|
>
> no, if there are no references to these symbols, then adding these symbols is
> just an annoyance.

My answer was completely generic, I do not have the knowledge of C++
internals to know whether those symbols are used/useful.

You're right that if they are not used, my remark is void.

But then symbols which should not be used can either be not listed
in the symbols file (and be auto-added at build time with a strict
dependency on the latest version) or be referenced in the symbols file
but with an alternate dependency (either one that is unsolvable or one
that is very strict in terms of version allowed).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)