Re: Default Homedir Permissions

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Ian Jackson
<ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Olaf van der Spek writes ("Re: Default Homedir Permissions"):
>> chmod 755 ~ is not a hard way to remove the barrier.
>
> We are arguing about defaults, so this is not a relevant answer.

In both cases it's easy to change permissions, but:

If you start with safe permissions but want to share everything, you
get an error message. Easy to fix.
If you start with unsafe permissions but wanted to share nothing, you
don't get an error messages and your data leaks. Impossible to fix.

>> What are those assumptions based on?
>
> I could ask you the same question.  We are arguing in a vacuum.

Feel free to ask.

--
Olaf