Request for Comments: Planned removal of ddrescue

I'm the maintainer of the ddrescue and gddrescue packages.
I plan to drop the ddrescue package.

ddrescue provides the dd_rescue binary, gddrescue provides the
ddrescue binary. As you might notice this is far from a perfect
situation and confuses users.

* ddrescue  = http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
* gddrescue = http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

Popcon currently lists more ddrescue installations than gddrescue:

But this is very probably caused by the (misleading) package names
and users not being fully aware of the ddrescue (dd_rescue) vs.
gddrescue (ddrescue) issue.

I'd like to get rid of this confusion now. AFAICT gddrescue provides
all the features (and even more) ddrescue does. Also from a forensic
and data rescue POV gddrescue works pretty well and I'm not aware of
any issues with it.

Related: Ubuntu had a similar discussion in

I propose the removal of the ddrescue package.

If anyone has any objections against the removal of ddrescue please
share why you think it's worth supporting it, otherwise I'd file a
request for removal of ddrescue.

thanks && regards,