Re: Request for Comments: Planned removal of ddrescue

Hi there!

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 23:17:58 +0100, Michael Prokop wrote:
> I'm the maintainer of the ddrescue and gddrescue packages.
> I plan to drop the ddrescue package.
[...]
> I'd like to get rid of this confusion now. AFAICT gddrescue provides
> all the features (and even more) ddrescue does. Also from a forensic
> and data rescue POV gddrescue works pretty well and I'm not aware of
> any issues with it.

Without having checked at dd_rescue, but having used gddrescue various
times and being a bit too lazy now to check the following, I guess that
your past concerns do not stand anymore, do they?

  <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=537697#10>

> I propose the removal of the ddrescue package.

+1, I was myself confused while looking at `apt-cache search ddrescue`.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca