Re: Make Unicode bugs release critical? (was: Re: RFA: all my packages)

Le lundi 14 février 2011 à 12:42 +0000, Ian Jackson a écrit :
> Josselin Mouette writes ("Re: Make Unicode bugs release critical? (was: Re: RFA: all my packages)"):
> > Kicking out software that doesn?t work at all in UTF-8 locales and
> > requires the user to set a broken locale, OTOH, sounds like a sanitary
> > emergency.
> Excellent, I look forward to the removal of python.  I always hated
> that language anyway.

From your reply I look more forward to the removal of vm, since it broke
the Unicode in my original email.

> $ LC_CTYPE=en_GB.utf-8 python -c 'print u"\u00a3"' | cat
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
> UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xa3' in
> position 0: ordinal not in range(128)
> $

You must specify the encoding of your data in your bitstreams. I agree
this is inconvenient (and one of the things I dislike in Python), but it
     1. completely independent of the locale (UTF8 or not)
     2. easy to work with once you understand how encodings in Python
     3. much better in Python 3.

: :' :     “You would need to ask a lawyer if you don't know
`. `'       that a handshake of course makes a valid contract.”
  `-        --  J???rg Schilling