Re: The future of m-a and dkms

Am 13.02.2011 23:52, schrieb Christoph Anton Mitterer:
> On Sun, 2011-02-13 at 23:21 +0100, Patrick Matthäi wrote:
>> since we have got a stable release with dkms now, I am asking myself, if
>> it is still necessary to support module-assistant.
>> dkms is IMHO the better system and maintaining two different systems for
>> kernel modules is a bit bloated.
> With dkms, can you also create packages of the modules?
>
> At least I found it always very useful, to create modules with m-a, or
> via make-kpkg, and provide them via local archives to all my Debian
> boxes. Can save quite some compilation time, and one doesn't need kernel
> header + build packages etc. on all nodes.

You can still publish ready compiled module on the other nodes and I
don't think, that it is necessary to safe this little bit compile time
and extra space for the headers, to support m-a in the next releases.

Also with dkms this job could be done more automagic (especially with
new kernel versions).

--
/*
Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards,

E-Mail: pmatthaei@debian.org
        patrick@linux-dev.org

Comment:
Always if we think we are right,