Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 06:46:22PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 08:22:39PM +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> > * Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> [110211 23:01]:
> > > 3) uniform, known build environments
> > I think is a major disadvantage of this suggestion.

> I'm unconvinced by your (implicit) argument that switching to an uniform
> build environment will make the current testing of packages built in
> "weird" environments any worse than the present situation.

> Package maintainers are already expected to upload packages built in
> clean environment.

> If they are not doing it, then we have a problem of best practices
> which are followed by the developer community.

No, best practice is to verify *that their packages build correctly in a
clean environment*.  The easiest and most reliable way to do that is by
doing the build in such a clean environment yourself and using that
build for the upload.  But it is wrong to say that we expect all uploaded
packages to have been built in a clean environment.  That's part of the
reason we have a Build-Conflicts field in the first place.

I am certainly not opposed to the current plans to do all builds on the
buildds, but let's not go rewriting history here.