Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 10:17:59PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
>
> > On ARM, it's 90MB, I guess MIPS should be similar.
> > The man page says 65MB even in -9, but I guess they didn't count in the
> > code, libc, buffers and the likes.
> >
> My OpenMoko FreeRunner phone is an ARM device that has 128Mb RAM and
> runs pure Debian armel. Only time I need to kill things to during an
> upgrade is when I'm upgrading the locales package or lintian, creating
> locales files seems to take a lot of memory and the process gets
> killed sometimes.

Decompression and generation of locale files never go together, so this
shouldn't be a problem.

As others have noticed, reducing the compression level can reduce memory
requirement to a single digit, and that dpkg-dev already uses -6 rather than
-9 by default.  I believe it might be a good idea to go back to -9 on big
architectures, but this is a detail that can be changed later.  For now,
it's important to know if it's save to enable xz everywhere, and it appears
it is.  If indeed xz -6 takes only 9MB to decompress, even Jarek's machine
with 64MB should handle it without a swappeathon.

I didn't check this myself, but I'm told that when xz has to swap (and not
merely evict other processes away), its memory usage pattern is so bad that
a file normally processed in ten seconds can take an hour.  Thus, using 9MB
vs 90 makes quite a difference.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be