Re: The "node" command in Debian

On 07/02/2011 13:54, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> 1. they can declare a conflict with each other, so that the packaging
>    system will never let both get installed in the same system.
>
>    Unless both communities have a large overlap, this one makes both
>    happy, until a third package shows up trying to claim "node".
>
> 2. they can be forced (by the TC) to drop their claim of "node" in the
>    common namespace.  This is not likely to happen.
>
> 3. It is possible that they could do nothing, since there is no direct
>    file conflict (different paths).  Not good for the unaware user that
>    installs both, but I am not sure whether we forbid this kind of
>    potential pitfall in the first place.
>
> 4. as the one with the weaker claim, node.js can move its executable out
>    of the generic namespace or rename its executable to something else.

Another proposal :

5. nodejs package provides /usr/bin/nodejs, following policy.
   nodejs-notrenamed package links /usr/bin/node to nodejs, and conflicts
   with node package.

+ Both packages node and nodejs can be installed, with full functionnality.
+ If the renaming is too much a burden for the user, he can install the
  not renamed version, knowing he can't install node package in that case.
- Depending on nodejs-notrenamed must be impossible (is this possible ?)
- All packages depending on nodejs must be able to work with /usr/bin/nodejs.
- It is still violating policy, though in a more flexible and twisted way.

Jérémy.