Re: does aptitude really need to lock the status database when downloading?

On Friday 04 February 2011 12.47:21 Fernando Lemos wrote:
> do, say, an "apt-get upgrade", apt prepares an upgrade "plan" that
> uses a given set of packages. If apt wouldn't lock [...]
> new plan would have to be created, the user would
> have to be asked for confirmation again. Doesn't sound that great.

If apt can (can it easily?  Not sure) determine if the package db has not
changed, this could be a noop for 99% of the users.

Not sure if it's worth the complexity, thogh, I've only had this issue very
occasionally.

cheers
-- vbi

--