Re: does aptitude really need to lock the status database when downloading?

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 03:29:14AM +0100, Julian Taylor wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 03:10 +0300, Stanislav Maslovski wrote:
> > For example, I am running an update on a slow connection and want to
> > uninstall or install with dpkg a few packages while the others are
> > being downloaded. Should not this be possible? I understand that there
> > can be a situation that a dependency could be affected by such an
> > action, but is not it easy to check for this right before unpacking?
>
> FYI,
> There is a blueprint in ubuntu aimed for natty concerning this feature:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-foundations-n-update-manager-incremental-updates
> >support downloading in parallel while upgrading the chunks: TODO

While somewhat worse as it pauses the download, here's what I used to do in
the days of slow links and no apt cache:

apt-get xxx --no-download --fix-missing

It does what it can do with already downloaded packages, silently ignoring
the rest.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be