Re: package testing, autopkgtest, and all that

Stefano Zacchiroli writes ("Re: package testing, autopkgtest, and all that"):
> All that considered, I'd like to know the rationale of this initial
> design choice as well. In particular, it would be nice to know if anyone
> see disadvantages in having *also* (rather then "instead") support for
> running tests which are not part of a source package.

I hope I have answered the substantive questions in my other recent
email.

As for "also" running tests which are "not part of a source package",
it is very easy to wrap up some tests in a dedicated source package if
that's desirable.  The source package is then just a convenient
container format.  There is no requirement in autopkgtest that the
source package containing tests generates any binary packages at all,
let alone that it generates the particular things being tested.

> > So, where do we start/continue sharing the thoughts on a tentative
> > DEP? ;)
>
> Let's see first if we have all the arguments on the table already,
> thanks to this thread. I'm willing to co-drive a DEP to finalize the
> spec, although I definitely need helping hands (hint, hint!).

One point I would like to make is that people who are now raising
objections to fundamental design decisions are, I think, five and a
half years too late.

The design, both in principle and detail, was discussed in November
2005 on various Debian lists.  Amongst other people, you, Stefano,
participated.  In February 2006 I reported that I had an initial
implementation.

I don't think going back the drawing board now is a very good idea.
What we are lacking is deployment (and, sorry for my part in the lack
of that).

Ian.