Re: Safe file update library ready (sort of)

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Goswin von Brederlow
<goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:
> I think you are dead wrong there Ian. Even if every single program is
> dead right (and we know a lot aren't) that means every one of them has
> a safe file update function somewhere in it.
>
> A function doing exactly the same thing in many programms. Doesn't that
> just scream for a shared library?

If the kernel supported it properly, it'd be even easier and you
wouldn't have all regressions.
Lacking that, a lib is the next best thing.

> Add to that the number of programs that don't yet do file updates in a
> safe way and need to be fixed I think the project is a verry good
> idea. The unexpected behaviour of ext4 is just a minor implementation
> detail to take care for a general safe update function.

Some instrumentation to detect such unsafe behaviour would be helpful too.

Olaf