Re: Can insserv made better?

On Sun January 16 2011 15:41:40 Thomas Hochstein wrote:
> Mike Bird schrieb:
> Does insserv fail then because it is inherently unable to mimic the
> Snn/Knn behaviour or due to wrong (missing, ...) dependency info in
> the initscripts? If it's the latter, the right solution would be
> fixing the scripts, I think.

Nobody knows all the different configurations that are out
there.

To avoid all failures the initial insserv install would
have to examine the system's Snn/Knn (not the script headers)
and then create dependencies to replicate the same startup
order.  The sysadmin could later delete any dependencies she
didn't want.  I do not recommend this but it is the only
solution to avoid all failures.

A better solution is to avoid misleading sysadmins - to
give them fair and balanced information so that they can
decide if and when to enable insserv.

--Mike Bird