Re: Why is help so hard to find?

]] Roger Leigh

| On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 04:07:58PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
| > Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:
| >
| > > I've yet to find a single system which upgraded to insserv cleanly.
| > > This is mostly due to removed packages which need fully purging to
| > > remove the last traces of old init scripts which break the process.
| >
| > Huh.  Every system I've upgraded had no problems.  What is the failure
| > mode?  What happens on those systems?
|
| Like Mike said in his reply, sysv-rc fails to configure fully due to
| the presence of init scripts incompatible with insserv.  It refuses
| to complete until they are gone.  You can live with this, but it's not
| ideal.

And more annoyingly, it keeps prompting on each and every upgrade of
sysv-rc with no ability to say «No, please go away, I don't want you to
convert my system».

| > > This has proven to be the case on every system I've migrated so
| > > far, and it is a real pain to identify each offending script and
| > > then find which package it belonged to and purge it.
| >
| > dpkg -S would generally tell you, no?  We could document how to do
| > that in the release notes.

This would also purge the configuration of packages where I have no wish
to do so.  I sometimes uninstall packages without purging them, just
because I want to keep the configuration around.

--
Tollef Fog Heen