Re: Forwarding bugs upstream

On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 23:54 +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:
> I've noticed a trend lately that I am often asked to forward the bugs I
> report to the Debian BTS upstream, either by the maintainers or
> automatically by a bug script.  I believe, and I continue to believe,
> that maintainers should forward bugs upstream instead of requiring (or
> strongly encouraging) users to do so.

If a bug is not readily reproducible or isolatable, it may be necessary
to pass it over to an upstream maintainer who will know what further
questions to ask.  But they need to send those questions to the user,
not to the Debian maintainer.  In the kernel team, we often ask users to
report bugs upstream for that reason.

> I understand that maintainers' time is limited and that forwarding bugs
> is not an enjoyable task.  But I also understand that having a BTS
> account for the upstream BTS of each of the 2405 packages I have
> installed on my laptop (not to mention my other machines) is simply not
> practical.

Surely you don't find bugs in all of those packages?

> I also don't have the benefit of the rapport that a
> maintainer has with upstream and knowledge of upstream practices.
>
> I try very hard to make my bug reports simple, clear, and well-defined
> (often with testcases) to make it easier for them to be forwarded and
> fixed,
[...]

In that sort of case, yes, it is hard to see a justification for a
maintainer requiring you to report again upstream.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings