Re: Squeeze can't fit on 512MiB

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:20:56 +0200
Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:

> Indeed, installling Squeeze (without any task) via the network needs
> 460MiB free on /, so you don't really have room for swap.  Once the
> .debs cleaned, you're still with 340MiB, while Lenny needed only 268MiB
> for the same base system. You can't install Debian on a.g. a 512MiB
> sheeva-plug unless disabling swap.

Try Emdebian Grip and consider using multistrap to install so that the
packages can be cleaned out before creating a tarball which is then
unpacked onto the final system. Emdebian Grip packages are smaller than
Debian ones but still binary compatible.

http://www.emdebian.org/grip
http://www.emdebian.org/multistrap

Wherever storage space is the principle limitation, please look at
using Embedded Debian rather than full sized Debian.

> Another interesting view of all this increase is through the filesystem:
>
>                           Lenny  Squeeze Squeeze-Lenny
> /lib/modules              57640  75428   17788
> /usr/share                81584  98344   16760         (notably +6M locales, +2M doc,

If you want to trim that down, you should *definitely* use Emdebian
where the packages themselves have this content already trimmed out.

> The apt cache increase (~20MiB) is merely due to more packages available
> (28000)

Emdebian Grip also reduces the apt cache size because we simply have
fewer packages - concentrating on the base system and things you're
likely to want on devices like this.

--

Neil Williams