Re: [RFC] disabled root account / distinct group for users with administrative privileges

Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> Simon McVittie wrote:
> >... so in practice, staff is root-equivalent, but in principle it's
> >not meant to be. (Yay.)
>
> It depends on the definition of "equivalent".
>
> Anyway "staff" is a protection against user (aka admin)* errors*,
> not against *malicious* admins.

I expect group staff to have write access to /usr/local so that
'./configure && make && make install' can install software in
/usr/local but bad software that tries to write to /etc/ will be
prevented by filesystem permissions.  It is there to create a safety
net.  I use that feature personally even though I have superuser
access because I am less likely to make a costly mistake.

Also in practice this means that I can assign someone to the staff
group and they can be quite well enabled to do things but not
ultimately enabled to break things.  Sure they can try a social
engineering attack against root to break in but I try to avoid working
with such antisocial people.  The 'staff' group is a useful shade of
grey that lives between the black and the white.

I think it would be bad to overload the 'staff' group for other
meanings.

Bob

P.S. I wish other distros would pick up the 'staff' model.  It is one
of the things I sometimes set up myself when working on other systems
that don't have it.