Re: [RFC] disabled root account / distinct group for users with administrative privileges

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 12:38:41AM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> So, I'm wondering if we shouldn't pick a more neutral name without a previous
> history in Debian.
> One suggestion is to use group "admin". Ubuntu has been using that group for
> exactly the purpose what we are going for and I think it is a pretty
> adequate name.
>
> One concern that was already mentioned is, that the existing group adm and admin
> are too similar and prone to mistyping.

Now that we ruled out most of the alternatives (maybe except "staff"
yet?), I re-read this and believe this is not such a great argument.

"admin" is used by Ubuntu already, which I think is a fairly strong
argument in favor of it.

And really, who needs typing those groups?  Only sysadmins I guess, and
I believe we trust them to either keep "adm" and "admin" apart and/or
fix up their error afterwards.  There is more than this (non-)issue to
shoot yourself in the foot as root on the commandline, if you are
care- or clueless.

How will regular users get in contact with "admin" (or even "adm"?) and
how would this be confusing and/or a possibility for mistyping?  I think
this is the question we need to address.

Cheers,

Michael