Re: Init dependency between nfs-kernel-server and name server

Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> writes:

> * Jesús M. Navarro <jesus.navarro@undominio.net> schrieb:
>
>> I imagine that in many cases if there's a locally installed
>> authoritative nameserver it will be used by the local resolver too.
>
> That's just an assumption. In the last decade I had enough systems
> where this was not the case. Authorative nameserver and local
> resolver are two fundamentally different services, it's just a
> coincidence that they're often provided by the same deamon.
>
>> So while not really a hard dependency (it can be avoided by having a second
>> recheable DNS at hand or by forcing IPs instead of names in the NFS client
>> config) it's probably a strong "nice to have".
>
> No, a clean design would be having two separate services, which
> just *may* be provided by the same daemon.

Hostnames can also come from nis and ldap.

Maybe all services providing name resolvers should

  Provides: name_resolver

and nfs-kernel-server then should

  Should-Start: name_resolver

That way nfs-kernel-server is started after the name resolvers but none
of them is required. Does that look right?

MfG
        Goswin