Re: Can a pure Python package be architecture-dependent?

Le dimanche 03 octobre 2010 à 17:39 +0200, Christian Kastner a écrit :
> While considering a possible NMU for #589995, the question (in general)
> came up whether  an otherwise architecture-independent package can be
> considered architecture-dependent if its features are only supported on
> specific platforms.
>
> As the most simple example, the package contains code that binds the
> name LOOPBACK to whatever it expects on a given platform. The list of
> platforms it supports does not include Hurd, and the package therefore
> does not work there.

I’m not sure, but I wouldn’t say an architecture-all package has to work
on all platforms - especially vaporware ones.

> Additionally, only on kfreebsd, the package
> requires other packages -- a relationship that cannot be expressed for
> an architecture-independent package according to Policy 7.1.

Indeed, in this case you have to make the package architecture-any.
Metapackages come as another example requiring this.

An alternative is to use type-handling:
Depends: blahblah | kfreebsd-gnu

Cheers,
--