Re: teaching users how to submit good bug reports

Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 04:05:17PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>>    So, point 2: are we *advertising* reportbug enough to our users?
>>    In particular, I'm thinking about advertising in "push mode" rather
>>    then in "pull mode".
>
> No, we obviosely do not.  When staffing bothes in the past I regularly
> asked people to report their problem and they had no idea how to do
> (because they did not know reportbug) even if long term Debian users.

I believe it's extremely unlikely that you have anything valuable to
report if you are unable to find reportbug.

Googling for "Debian bug" or similar (actually even when I misspelled
Debian), lists http://www.debian.org/Bugs/ as the first hit.  The second
heading on that page says "How to report a bug in Debian".  It is a
single line linking to http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting which starts
with "We strongly recommend that you report bugs in Debian using the
reportbug program." and continues with further instructions on how to do
that.

If you are still unable to find and use reportbug, then I doubt that you
are able to identify a bug and much less provide the information
required to actually fix it.

Bjørn