Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

Bastien ROUCARIES writes ("Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number  of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling"):
> The problem is joe simple user find one package that does not work,
> it seatrch on the web how to report bug, does not find, does not
> report it, and switch to unbuntu. [...]

Why is this a problem ?  Very likely their "bug" isn't a bug at all,
and even if it is it will be a lot of work to try find out that it is
and identify the bug.

It seems to me that Debian will be better served if we spend our
effort working on other bugs that are more likely to be real.  In the
end the user in question, and people like them, will be better off,
too, because Ubuntu is a Debian derivative, so when we are working to
improve Debian we are often working to improve Ubuntu as well.

Or is it just a problem because you don't like a downward graph in
distrowatch or google trends ?  Are we managing by targets here ?

Ian.