Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users

Am Donnerstag, den 22.07.2010, 23:14 +0800 schrieb Paul Wise:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Giacomo A. Catenazzi <cate@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > I think it is bugous to ask such question.
> >
> > IMHO we should care about improving Debian, going toward the perfection, not
> > about increasing the number of users (which should
> > be a nice secondary effect).
> >
> > I don't think increasing the number of Debian user is per se
> > a nice things, after looking Ubuntu.
> > So, let see how to improve Debian, not how to increase
> > our userbase!
>
> The two are not entirely unrelated. I was a user of Debian before I
> was a Debian contributor. All developers come from a pool of users and
> with more developers we can make a better distro. Figuring out how to
> convert users into developers is the hard part though.

Debian contributors don't have to be Debian users at the beginning. They
can come from Debian-derived distributions and contribute directly to
Debian to avoid work duplication.

--
Benjamin Drung
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Maintainer (www.debian.org)