Re: [RFC] removing xserver-xorg-video-nv from squeeze

On 2010-07-13 04:31 +0200, Stephen Powell wrote:

> Second, I can't seem to get an 80-column virtual console with KMS.
> Yes, I can change the font size, but the traditional 80-column display
> doesn't seem to present itself.  Maybe I just haven't tried hard enough.

It's not possible with a horizontal resolution of 1024, the closest you
can get are 85 columns with a 12 pixel wide font.  You can force a lower
resolution as a kernel parameter, though.  With 800x600 and a 10 pixel
wide font you have 80 columns, for instance.

>>> Because of that, I still use nv.  That's
>>> the *only* reason that I still use nv.
>
> I take that back.  There is a second reason.  But it's related.  nouveau
> ignores my custom video mode and insists on driving my CRT monitor at
> 1024x768 resolution (which is what I want) and at 60 Hz vertical refresh
> (which is *not* what I want).  60 Hz vertical refresh produces noticeable
> flicker and really irritates my eyes after only a few minutes.  The only
> VESA standard video modes supported by my monitor for 1024x768 resolution
> are 1024x768 @ 60 Hz and 1024x768 @ 87 Hz Interlaced.  The 87 Hz Interlaced
> mode produces far less perceived flicker and eye irritation than the 60 Hz
> mode, but I designed a custom video mode for 1024x768 @ 100 Hz Interlaced
> that is even better.  (100 Hz is the maximum vertical refresh rate of the
> monitor).  This mode is still within the video bandwidth of the monitor
> (maximum supported pixel clock rate).  I'm very happy with it.

Nouveau supports some hidden cheat codes that may achieve this and are
not mentioned in the driver's modinfo, see
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModeSetting (scroll to the end
of the page).

Sven