Re: [RFC] removing xserver-xorg-video-nv from squeeze

On 2010-07-12 21:09 +0200, Stephen Powell wrote:

> If nouveau set KMS by default, as the intel driver does, but did not
> *require* KMS, I would agree.  But the last time I checked, using the nouveau
> driver *forces* KMS.  I don't like that.  I still use, and prefer, hardware
> text mode virtual consoles (1-6).

May I ask why?  If the reason is that the default font is too small, you
can easily choose a bigger one, e.g. by "dpkg-reconfigure console-setup".
And speed shouldn't really be an issue either, unlike with vesafb.

> Because of that, I still use nv.  That's
> the *only* reason that I still use nv.  There is no bug number here because
> I'm sure that upstream would consider this a feature and not a bug.  In other
> words, they would consider operation of the driver with KMS off an enhancement
> request.

Indeed you would be wasting your time, upstream deliberately removed all
UMS support from the nouveau X driver some months ago.

Sven