Re: UPG and the default umask

On Thu May 20 2010 07:24:16 Michael Banck wrote:
> The problem is that most of your mails started with "OMG Debian will
> compromise security, you all suck" or a paraphrasing thereof, so most
> people didn't bother to read your mails in full and never actually read
> a reasonable argument why the default umask should not be changed for
> UPG setups.

Michael,

Those of us who actually administer Linux systems realize
that the proponents of this change are (a) way out of their
depth so that (b) they cannot forsee the consequences of
their actions yet (c) they have the power to carry their
actions through and (d) they haven't listened to reason yet.

So we just watch and laugh sadly and pray that we can keep
our systems secure.  Debian has survived worse and it will
survive this mess too.

--Mike Bird