Re: UPG and the default umask

On 17 May 2010 10:50, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> In our case, because we've historically only ever used one GID in our
> enterprise LDAP (previously NIS) user database, so it's very difficult to
> safely introduce UPG since individual systems have used GIDs for various
> other reasons.

In our case we use the GID to reflect the department that the user
belongs to, and this group is used for file system quotas (amongst
other things).

Plus the fact that setting up an extra group for every user in LDAP is
extra complexity, extra chance for mistakes, for no gain for us.

Besides, if the requirement is to be able to create files in certain
directories with group permissions (I think that is what this is
about, but only skimming), can't you do something with default ACLs
that do the same thing on given directories without the extra
complexity to the groups?

Or have I got this wrong?
--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>