Re: UPG and the default umask

On 16/05/10 19:43, Russ Allbery wrote:
Felipe Sateler<fsateler@gmail.com>  writes:
On 16/05/10 16:50, Harald Braumann wrote:

If non-UPG systems should be supported, keep the umask at 022 and let
the admin edit a single line to change it, if this is needed and he
knows it's a pure UPG system.

Is there a reason to support non-UPG systems?

Yes.  Many Debian users already have non-UPG systems and are not going to
change their enterprise-wide account provisioning in order to accomodate
UPG.  Remember, the decision to use UPG in many environments is not a
per-system decision.  If the users are coming from some external source
like LDAP, it's an enterprise-wide decision and the person installing
Debian may not have any choice in the matter.

I mean, is there a reason for why I would want a non-UPG system? From what I've read in this thread, a common users group presents no advantage over UPG. Debian as an OS provider may be "forced" to support non-UPG configurations for reasons like you state, but I'm more interest in why would an enterprise want to take such a decision.

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler