Re: ITP: gnome-media-player -- GNOME Media Player is a simple media player for GNOME that supports playing media using the vlc, xine and gstreamer engines.

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 17:58 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sun, May  9, 2010 at 18:25:15 +0300, Bilal Akhtar wrote:
>
> > Package name    : gnome-media-player

I find the package name extremely misleading: There is already a "Gnome
Media Player": Gnome's Totem.

BTW, do we really need yet another media player? If you follow GNOME HID
(like Totem) and use the same back-ends as Totem, the two applications
are very likely to be pretty identical (?) Why not contributing to totem
directly?

> > Version         : 0.1.2
> >   Description     : GNOME Media Player is a simple media player for
> > GNOME that supports playing media using the vlc, xine and gstreamer
> > engines.
>
> This is not a short description.  Try to make it fit in a line.

I suggest: "simple media player for GNOME and Gtk+."

Actually, I don't get the impression that "simple" is appropriate. The
launchpad page mention:
| The goal is to combine multiple engines into a consistent user
| interface so users can switch between engines without having to
| retrain themselves to use a different UI."
That seems to be the "unique" feature of the tool.

> > GNOME Media Player is a simple media player for GNOME that supports
> > playing media using the vlc, xine and gstreamer engines.

> It has the ability to switch between the engines in the GUI,

This statement is strange for a package which is advertized as "GNOME
Media Player". You could drop this statement and just mention that it's
for GNOME and Gtk+

> > ... and features an engine Auto-select mode, which automatically
> > selects the best engine for playing the selected file.

I am not a native English speaker, but that could be worded in a simpler
way.

> And this makes it sounds like a pretty pointless piece of software...

* The description should state that it is "a replacement for GNOME's
  official media player (totem)" (or something similar, to mention
  that it isn't the "official media player")
* The description should mention that the software is still in "early
  development stage", then mention the consequences (missing feature,
  unstable, ...)

my 2 cents,

Franklin