Re: Parallellizing the boot in Debian Squeeze - ready for wider testing

On 05/07/2010 09:59 AM, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 09:47:36AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> Le jeudi 06 mai 2010 à 21:11 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen a écrit :
>>> These days, the init.d script dependencies in Squeeze are quite
>>> complete, so complete that it is actually possible to run all the
>>> init.d scripts in parallell based on these dependencies.  If you want
>>> to test your Squeeze system, make sure dependency based boot
>>> sequencing is enabled, and add this line to /etc/default/rcS:
>>>
>>>   CONCURRENCY=makefile
>>
>> Seems to work fine for me. However the gain isn’t really important,
>> given that the critical path includes fsck and networking.
>
> And kernel+initramfs. That's more than half the boot time (without
> even CONCURRENCY=makefile) here.

Exactly.
I gain much more from moving the start of $many_daemons behind the start of kdm
on my desktop. The speed difference with/without CONCURRENCY=makefile is not
really noticeable for me.

 GPG Fingerprints: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79
                   ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F