Re: /usr/bin/mail policy

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> bts from devscripts invokes mail with an -a flag, which has different
> meanings in bsd-mailx and heirloom-mailx (the latter being some
> sort-of-default in squeeze installations, apparently).

This has been brought up in #577564 as well.  The subject is a little
misleading since, at the time, I was under the impression mailx provided
the functionality we needed while mail didn't.

> I'm not sure which package is at fault here.  Any suggestions?

This is done to add extra headers to the mail being sent.  The
User-Agent header is always added and when --no-ack is specified the
X-Debbugs-No-Ack header is also added.

Since heirloom-mailx (and any mailx following the POSIX spec) doesn't
have a way to specify extra headers, I've been considering changing
this.  X-Debbugs-No-Ack can be set as a pseudo-header and the User-Agent
header was only added in response to #493884.  While the User-Agent
header is useful, I could see backing out this change so bts doesn't
require the non-standard -a flag.

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@debian.org>