Re: Safe File Update (atomic)

* Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek@gmail.com> schrieb:

> > renames on open files, as they're also identified by the filename.
>
> Not true. Renaming a running executable works just fine, for example.

Well, has been quite a while since I last used Windows, but IIRC
renaming an running executable was denied.

> >> Increased complexity, lower performance, little benefit.
> >
> > Why that ? Currently applications (try to) implement that all on
> > their own, which needs great efforts for multiprocess synchronization.
> > Having that in a little fileserver eases this sychronization and
> > moves the complexity to a single point.
>
> I mean compared to implementing it properly in the kernel.

Doing it in the kernel would be fine (maybe DLM could be used here),
but would be a nonportable solution for quite a long time ;-o

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666