Re: Safe File Update (atomic)

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>> Ah, hehe. BTW, care to respond to the mail I send to you?
>
> There is nothing more I can add to this thread.  You want O_ATOMIC.  It

That's a shame. I thought I provided pretty concrete answers.

> cannot be implemented for all use cases of the POSIX API, so it will not
> be implemented by the kernel.  That's all there is to it, AFAIK.
>
> You could ask for a new (non-POSIX?) API that does not ask of a
> POSIX-like filesystem something it cannot provide (i.e. don't ask for

What's the definition of a POSIX-like FS?

> something that requires inode->path reverse mappings).  You could ask
> for syscalls to copy inodes, etc.  You could ask for whatever is needed

To me, inodes are an implementation detail that shouldn't be exposed.

> to do a (open+write+close) that is atomic if the target already exists.
> Maybe one of those has a better chance than O_ATOMIC.
>
> It is up to you and the fs developers to find some common ground.

The FS devs are happy with all the regressions of the workaround, so
they're unlikely to do anything.

Olaf