Re: using perl in preinst script

> On 2010-12-28, Carsten Hey <carsten@debian.org> wrote:
> > system.  The remaining perl library packages could be removed after
> > installing debconf-english.

[Philipp Kern]
> "You don't care about non-native speakers?"  SCNR.

That's not how I read it at all.  I think he's just saying,
debconf-i18n requires perl, but that in itself is not a barrier to
removing perl-base from Essential, because debconf-english (its
alternative) does not need it.  Obviously the discussion of what
belongs in the Essential set is not at all the same thing as the
discussion of what packages debootstrap should install by default
(a "base system").

That said, of course there are valid reasons not to even consider
removing perl-base from Essential.  Others have covered that ground
already.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/