Re: using perl in preinst script

On 12/27/2010 01:45 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 13:19:57 +0100
> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> wrote:
>
>> ]] Rahul Amaram
>>

>> | I am the maintainer for calendarserver. I have a query reg. preinst
>> | script. I need to perform some action during preinst before the
>> | upgrade of calendarserver happens from 1.x to 2.x. For this, I
>> | wrote the necessary code in python in preinst script. But this was
>> | rejected into being accepted into squeeze as writing python code or
>> | calling the python interpreter in preinst is not permitted.
>>
>> As long as you have the necessary Pre-Depends, that should be fine,
>> I'd imagine.  (You have to discuss adding the pre-depends on
>> debian-devel, but as long as you have a good reason to, I don't see a
>> problem with that.)
>
> See #608099 for rejection of the python preinst - as python is not
> essential, a Pre-Depends on python isn't workable. Good reason or no,
> there is a problem with a python preinst. Perl is a suitable
> alternative.

I thought there were some plans to try to get rid of perl-base being
essential, in that case only shell (or C?) is a real alternative. Though
in most cases including this one there is no real need to have the
service running during the upgrade and you can easily do python or perl
in the postinst.

Cheers

Luk