Re: using perl in preinst script

Carsten Hey <carsten@debian.org> writes:

> We are not that far away from being able to implement this plan.  One
> reason for this is that dpkg's perl scripts were rewritten in C.

> After debootstraping the minbase variant of sid, installing file-rc and
> removing insserv, there is not much perl left in the newly created
> system.  The remaining perl library packages could be removed after
> installing debconf-english.

Removing Perl requirements from the base system is not the hard part of
removing something from essential.

The work required to fix package dependencies for the removal of perl-base
from the essential set is extensive enough, not to mention unlikely (at
least IMO) to be something that enough Debian developers are willing to
work on, that I don't think it's worth taking extra precautions just in
the unlikely case that it would happen.