Re: Introducing the "Debian's Automated Code Analysis" (DACA) project

Hi Jakub,

Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org>, 2010-12-16, 12:00:
>>the list of tools to be evaluated and possibly included goes over
>>twenty.
>
> Do you have any particular tools in mind?

>>Most of the tools are CPU-bound, limiting considerably the number of
>>tools and time it takes to check the whole Debian archive. For example,
>>with the typical sid repository update (i.e. not during the freeze and
>>with a working ftp-master) it is impossible for the server running
>>cppcheck to keep up with all the changes.
>
> I don't see this as a big problem. I'd find DACA useful even if test
> results were updated, say, monthly.

One of the many problems is for example that the current scripts that run
the tools are not very smart and may check a just-uploaded version of a
package that has been checked 20 times before they start the check of an old
and never-checked package. There's also the case where by the time cppcheck
is done with a package the version it checked was even already removed from
sid (because it was superseded and the mirror removal delay reached.)

There are other scheduling problems and that's where people could
collaborate either by modifying the existing code, rewriting it,
investigating existing solutions (e.g. boinc,) etc.
I'm going to write a bit about what the current setup looks like and then
publish the sources of what I have (I expected the alioth project to have
been accepted by now.)

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer