Re: New user and group name for inadyn package

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:15:44 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

> [Timur Birsh]
> > OK. I will use debian-inadyn for account name group names.
> > Thank you all.
>
> Note that exim uses capital D in Debian for its user name.  You might
> want to be consistent and use Debian-inadyn.

I know that it was chosen for the best reasons:

  http://wiki.debian.org/PkgExim4UserFAQ#TheusernameDebian-.24PACKAGEistoolong.3Aitmisalignslsoutputandistruncatedbypsandatop.Andit.27sugly.21

but IMO the only good thing to say about the 'Debian-' prefix is that
it's sufficiently disgusting[1] that no sane unix admin could
conceivably have such a user present on their systems prior to exim
excreting it there.

Please let's not decide it's a de facto standard -- we could always try
fixing the lack of a standard in policy.

I'd not come across the underscore (_) prefix idea before -- I much prefer that.

Cheers, Phil.

[1] what with the use of capitals, the '-', the length, and the explicit
use of the word 'debian' -- I suppose we can be thankful that nobody
seems (that I've seen) to be using a Ubuntu- prefix yet.