Re: List of FTBFS in Ubuntu

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 05:04:59PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr> wrote:
> > Here, you are wrong. If I want to use the 'filesystem' part of boost,
> > I (as a user of the library) must be able to find all required info
> > only from the part of boost that I want to use.
> > "pkg-config --libs boost_filesystem" is one standard way to do it.
>
> It's a way, it's not a standard.
>
> > 'boost-config --libs filesystem' can be another one.
> > autolink could also be a solution (but I'm not convinced at all by
> > this feature as described in this thread)
> >  But hardcoding in sources the fact that you need
> > "-lboost_filesystem -lboost_system" (ie what must be done currently) is
> > a wrong approach (in my opinion).
>
> I agree it's not optimal, hence my push for auto linking.

So, let me get this straight:

Either Debian, and all other distributions that are to support boost,
patch gcc (one of the most complex and most important codebases in the
free software world) to be able to build packages that use boost,
risking to introduce bugs that at worst could cause build failures
in totally unrelated software

or

Boost alone is modified to add pkg-config support (pkg-config already
being a standard component in all distributions) for use when building
on non-Windows platforms, at worst breaking these very same builds.

If someone would ask me to choose between these two options, I'd start
looking around for the candid camera...

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //