Re: List of FTBFS in Ubuntu

On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 02:28:32PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 03:14:05PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Roger Leigh, le Fri 03 Dec 2010 14:08:48 +0000, a écrit :
> > > While I do find this a rather annoying violation of encapsulation,
> > > you will find (e.g. with "nm -C -D") your binary will have
> > > boost::system symbols in it which are only satisfied indirectly
> > > via libboost_filesystem and which would result in breakage if
> > > libboost_filesystem drops that dependency and you don't explicitly
> > > link against it.  Ideally, the headers should be fixed.
> >
> > Or simply the equivalent of pkgconfig's "Requires:" be used.
> >
> > You can't make all application know what headers are doing, since that
> > could change.
>
> pkg-config support for Boost is a long-standing issue.  Unfortunately,
> there's no usable alternative that provides this information…

OK, I've written a patch to implement pkg-config .pc generation for
Boost, and submitted it upstream.  It uses the same auto-link
header include mechanism used for auto-linking on Windows, so it
can't get out of sync on different platforms, using some C++
static class members and anonymous namespace hackery to store the
data during preprocessing.

If anyone is familiar with the bjam build system used by Boost,
the actual .pc generation could be integrated in the patch.  I am
not familiar with it, unfortunately.

Regards,
Roger

--